The multimillion dollar global weight loss industry is continuing to show signs of growth. People have tried just about everything to lose weight including diets, exercise, medication and surgery. In recent times, acupuncture has become a popular choice for people who are desperate to shed weight. It is effective at helping people lose weight for many reasons such as:
- It suppresses the appetite
- It controls depression and anxiety which leads to comfort eating
- It can boost the metabolism helping the body to burn excess fat
- It helps to improve digestion
How Ear Acupuncture Works for Weight Loss
Ear acupuncture is the most commonly used method and its effectiveness is supported by a study published in the Acupuncture in Medicine journal. According to the study, the five-point approach yields greater results than just pressure points. The needles will be placed on parts of the ears which relate to specific body parts that are believed to play the greatest roles in weight gain.
The acupuncturist will insert needles in different parts of the ears that are connected to the following body parts:
- The mouth: This is the focal point for controlling overeating.
- The small intestine/stomach: This helps with improvement in digestion
- The endocrine system: This boosts metabolism which is necessary for weight loss
Although ear acupuncture is the most popular form of this alternative treatment for weight loss, many other body oarts can be targeted in an effort to lose excess weight. Some of these are:
- The kidneys: For people whose weight gain is stress related, or who are retaining water, this pressure point is important in helping the weight loss effort
- The thyroid: This pressure point is the primary contact area for those persons who gain weight because of hypothyroidism.
- The ovaries: When weight gain is due to hormonal imbalances resulting from menopause or the menstrual cycle, focusing on the ovaries as a pressure point for acupuncture can be helpful.
To be effective, acupuncture for weight loss should be scheduled for eight to twelve weeks, although this can be extended depending on your weight loss goals. For most people, having the sessions once per week for one hour is adequate. Ear acupuncture combined with other types of acupuncture yields better results.
Of course, as with any successful weight loss program, it is important to have a healthy diet, and to get even moderate exercise in addition to acupuncture to reap the rewards. In addition to weight loss benefits, acupuncture leads to overall health improvement.